Friday, September 11, 2009

On the Open Seas - Africa Edition: Part Deux!

Hello all,

After a delightful summer hiatus, I am back on board! I have to admit that the job search wasn’t always easy, and many of you know that I applied to quite a few jobs, from Sudan, to Burundi, to Cambodia before finally getting a bite! However, I am now happy to report that I will get to spend some more time around East Africa this coming year!

When I say, “around” East Africa, I really mean it! I will be working as a caseworker with Church World Service’s Joint Voluntary Agency (JVA). Though I’ll be based in Nairobi, this position will take me on “circuit rides” to refugee camps all around East and Southern Africa. My job will be to compile case histories for potential refugees to the U.S.

JVA/Kenya is an “Overseas Processing Entity” whose aim is to manage the resettlement of refugees to the U.S. from these areas.

Some info on JVA:
Since 1990, the Overseas Processing Entity has assisted more than 136,316 refugees from 22 countries in Africa to resettle in the United States. In FY 2007, the OPE/Nairobi resettled 13,386 refugees to the United States. OPE/Nairobi implements the resettlement program through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Department of State. OPE/Nairobi is responsible for processing refugees located in Eastern and Southern Africa, and for providing cultural orientation for those accepted for U.S. resettlement. (For more info, see the website link at the right.)

I start work exactly a week from today, on September 18, which means I need to move myself and my stuff to East Africa like yesterday! Actually, it will be today- I depart this evening, connecting through Dubai. I’ll spend a couple quick days saying ‘jabale ko’ to friends in Uganda, and then head to Nairobi middle of next week.

Though I’ve had a lovely gap, which involved awesome time with family and friends (and lots of tv and American fast food) I consider this stint in Nairobi to be all part of the same story that God started back in ‘Boston Harbor,’almost exactly a year ago as I embarked for Uganda.

To be sure, I’m much less ‘green’ this time around, having lots of adventures under my belt from last year, but I have a feeling there’s much to be learned, and many ways to bless and be blessed in the year ahead. I look forward to sharing it all with you!

Blessings,
Tammie

2 comments:

thelastlaugh said...

Tammie,
Congrats on the new job. Godspeed on your travels and blessings in your work.
Brian Buell

Unknown said...

It's September 19 - and I'm just finding out that you're going back to Africa! What a blessing. I will continue to pray for you and your endeavors!
God Bless, dear sister in Christ!

Jolene