Friday, February 27, 2009

New routines

Since returning from the Christmas break, there have been a lot of changes to my schedule, all of which I find quite exhilarating. Praise God for providing some great opportunities to continuing learning and serving Him. Here’s a rundown of my new typical week for this second half of my trip:

Mondays and Wednesdays: I go for the full day to for an internship at World Vision, at the area development project based in Kyabakuza (a 1000shilling boda ride from Masaka). So far, I am spending most time just observing and learning about the extensive programs and procedures World Vision utilizes to improve the lives of over 4,000 kids in the area, not to mention their families and communities. I’m really enjoying starting each work day with a staff devotion time- it has a nice way of putting things in perspective!

I’m also enjoying the opportunity to get out to some of the more rural areas. Last Monday I got to go out with one of the child sponsorship assistants to follow up with 8 kids who had received special gifts from their sponsors. We went to take pictures of the kids with everything they purchased so that we could report back to the sponsor. Usually the purchases included things like books, shoes, school uniforms, and some kind of small income generating project (piglets, cows, etc.) Seeing the impact it has on the ground, I definitely recommend you consider becoming a sponsor!

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: I split my time between church and Buddukiro. At church, I’m part of a team that is reviewing how we can restructure MPC’s community/mercy ministry projects so that they are more organized and have maximum impact. There are four main areas of ministry:
- Prison ministry;
- Assistance to orphans and other vulnerable children (OVC), and persons affected by HIV/AIDS;
- Assistance to the elderly and widows; and
- ‘Special initiatives’, which includes emergency assistance and start up capital so individuals who are struggling can become self-sustaining.

So far, we’ve designed a structure for a new church coordinating department, developed strategies for recruiting volunteers and mobilizing funds, and started raising awareness in the church through a ‘special Sunday’ where we highlighted some of the needs, and ways people could get involved. I’ll write about all these exciting developments in more detail in a later post…

At Buddukiro, I’m wrapping up my involvement with my project to set up self help groups for caregivers of OVC in Ssenyange. I’ll write more about that later too! Going forward, I’d like to continue to serve as a resource person as the staff carries the project forward, and as they prepare to implement a couple of other new projects there. In the evenings, I have a lot of fun visiting folks around the neighborhood for tea, hangout time, and Luganda lessons (with Jenipher and Mukiibi, Brock and Hagar, and Fred).

Saturdays - This is my day to take care of houseworky stuff. Man, after 3-4 hours of hand washing and cleaning, I feel pretty beat. I can’t imagine doing that every day like most ladies here do, and for multiple family members! Saturday is also a ‘fun’ day to hang out with friends and cook Muzungu food.

Sundays –
Church in the morning, then usually some kind of training or workshop with my groups in Ssenyange through early evening. Usually a tiring but satisfying day.

All in all, I am very happy indeed, because I feel like all of the above constitutes time well spent!!!

No comments: