Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting to know Buddukiro Children's Agency

Since coming to Masaka, I have been working with the Buddukiro Children’s Agency (BCA), which is dedicated to helping street kids, child laborers, and other vulnerable children in Masaka District. “Buddukiro” means “refuge” in Luganda, and is a name that was chosen by the street children themselves when the agency was first founded.

I’ll write up a separate entry about the children we serve themselves, some of the reasons they have for coming to the street, and the challenges they face. In the meantime, I’ll introduce you to the services and staff of BCA.

Buddukiro works in the following areas:
- Rehabilitation, which involves: withdrawal from the street or child labor situation; provision of access to services at the drop in center (counseling, cleaning facilities, food, ‘catch up’education class); home tracing, family counseling, and resettlement back home.
- Resettlement, which involves: after the return home- assistance with entry into the formal school system or a vocational training program, and follow up counseling and advising.
- BCA would like to do more advocacy/networking with other child protection agencies, and would also like to start doing some prevention activities to address the root causes of kids coming on the streets.This is an area I may be able to work on while I’m here…

So far, I really enjoy the environment at Buddukiro, and the people I’m working with.Introducing some of my new colleagues:


Pic - Aida and Cissy in the Nyendo classroom

Mr. Cassim Wamono, project manager Mr. Wamono is originally from a different tribe in eastern Uganda, so Luganda is his second language.He has been with Buddukirofor several years.So far, he strikes me as a very logical thinker, and it feels like we’re somehow on the same wave length as we discuss issues.I really appreciate this, because it helps things to flow smoothly.

Aunt Aida
, primary social worker.(We are all called ‘Aunt’ or ‘Uncle’ by the kids.)Aida has been with BCA for about a year.She is responsible for all aspects of outreach, intake, assessment, counseling, hometracing, vocational training placement, etc (a big job!).She is also 29 and also a believer (anyone else sense a really cool friendship potential here??) She is from the same tribe as Mr. Wamono, and she is the first woman from her village or any of the surrounding ones to complete a university degree (having studied social work/social administration).

Aunt Cissy, education coordinator.Cissy has been with Buddukiro since the very beginning over ten years ago.She is involved with all aspects of education, including conducting ‘catch up’ basic education classes at each of the two drop in centers, and with working with the teachers of kids who have been placed back in school.

Uncle Robert ,the music/drama teacher. He teaches the kids to play local instruments, has them recite poetry, and teaches them songs that he himself has composed about issues like HIV/AIDS, respecting the environment, and faith. During these kids of activities, it's so great from seeing the kids go from looking quiet or traumatized to laughing and enjoying themselves like kids should.

Other folks I’m still getting to know better are the nurse, the sports teacher, Sarah the accountant, and Jarrod the ‘everything’ person!

For my first week, I mostly read up on organizational literature, and shadowed staff as they delivered services at the two drop in centers in Masaka and Nyendo town.It's important that I try to learn Luganda ASAP, because the boys (the kids are all boys so far) mostly do not speak much English, not having had much formal schooling.
It's a little awkward, but sports and games have been a great way to communicate even without words.



Pic- me giving the boys the sports equipment I brought along- they really love the soccer ball, and had never seen badminton before!

I also discussed my potential role with the project manager, and have been developing a work plan to guide how I spend my time. As of right now I’m thinking that maybe I will spend about 20% of my time on direct service (sports or English lessons with the kids, participating in home tracing, outreach, and resettlement trips); another 30% on organizational development for BCA (trying to identify new funding sources, grant writing, maybe giving some in house training).

I’m thinking that I will spend the remaining 50% of my time on my ‘mini’ project I am supposed to develop for FSD.I could really use prayer for wisdom and creativity as I move through the ‘needs assessment’ phase of the project during these next few weeks.In talking with all the folks at Buddukiro, it looks likely we will try to design and implement some kind of pilot prevention project (to work with the communities where the kids largely come from, to avoid having them come to the streets in the first place.)It feels like just a small spit in a big ocean though, so prayer for an idea that leads to effective use of time and resources, for maximum impact, would be greatly appreciated!

No comments: