Saturday, October 11, 2008

Top Five Special Moments So Far

Lest I give the impression after that last post that I am anything less than thoroughly thankful and excited to be here, here are a few of the moments I’ve experienced so far that I will likely remember fondly for years to come:

1. Waking to the sound of torrential rains as I lay cozy in bed underneath my mosquito net. The rainy season makes everything lush and green.

2. Sharing evening meals and listening to the radio with my host family by the light of Jenipher’s little ‘Firefly’ solar lamp.

3. Joining Jenipher and her ‘Good Life’ team to give a session on family planning in a local village, and seeing them take pride in and ownership of the well-being of their community. I didn’t say much myself, but they got a real kick out of it when I introduced myself as ‘Nabatanzi” from the Lugave clan. (pic - Jenipher and I in our gear)

4. Taking time out of the busy chore schedule to sit down with Jenipher, Justine, and Mikiibi over a lively game of Uno, and taking turns slamming each other with the dreaded ‘Draw 4.’

5. Bonding with the street kids at the Buddukiro Children’s Agency drop in centers over Uno, badminton, soccer, and ‘zoomie zoomie.’ More to follow next week on my work so far with BCA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Tammie!!! You rock!