Saturday, October 25, 2008

MPC - church home away from home

I’m very happy to report that I think I’ve found a church to attend in Masaka. The first week I had attended a catholic church with my host family. There was lovely African style music and smartly dressed people. There was also a baptism ceremony for like 30(!) babies all in one pop. It was nice, but it’s just not my style, especially in a language I don’t understand.

The next week, both Sarah, who works for FSD, and Aida, the social worker at Buddukiro, recommended that I try the English service at their church- Masaka Pentecostal. It’s where the ‘Born Agains’ go (I’ll write more on my impressions of religion in Uganda in a later blog entry.)

It was pouring rain the following Sunday morning, but I was so ‘thirsty’ that I was determined to get to church even if I had to build an ark to do it! I was glad I did- there was something very powerful about the worship, out in the open air of the half completed church building (thankfully the roof was in place at least!) Some of the songs were familiar, and it made my spirit sing to be instantly part of a family, even among strangers in a strange land.

The teaching was good, and later in the service, they of course welcomed the first-time visitors from up front. The pastor said, “Ah, on my way here this morning, I saw someone walking with an colorful umbrella, but when I saw that it was a muzungu I thought, ‘no, she wouldn’t be going to church!’, but here you are! That’s the thing about you muzungus, you’re easy to spot!”

The following Thursday, I was also been able to check out the church ‘cell group’ (or small group) that meets in my neighborhood. It seems that will be a great way to get to know people better and learn what’s on their hearts and minds. I also got to have a great chat with Pastor Sam about potential ministry opportunities, and the church’s vision for working with orphans and others in need. There are some parts of the ‘Christian culture’ here that will take some adjustment, but praise God for providing a place to call home!

Pic- the front of the church (which is actually located a two minute walk from Buddukiro.)

No comments: